Monday, January 28, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I finally decided to give homemade laundry detergent a whirl, I say finally because it's been something I've been meaning to try for a long time. Anyways I found a crazy simple recipe. It literally took me less than 15 minutes to do this- that's less time than it would take me to drive to the store. Anyways, here's what I did...

These are what you need to buy for the laundry detergent adventure that I chose.

Step 1: Grate a bar of ivory soap, like so.





Then combine 1 part washing soda for every 1 part grated Ivory soap. For the one bar I got about 2 cups. I combined in a mason jar and shook it up to mix. 




Then when you do a load of laundry you insert 3 tblsp of this as you would a powdered detergent, and I used the vinegar in place of fabric softener. Here's my laundry ready to go!




And the settings I used, I always go with cold water when I can




Sorry the photos are kind of dark. It was night time and I have horrible lighting in my house and don't really care enough to edit photos of my laundry. But yeah that's all there is to it. It's dirt cheap, easy, fast, and better for your skin, and my clothes came out nice and clean so I'm pretty satisfied with this adventure! Crunchy mommy signing off- until next time!

2 comments:

  1. How did the clothes smell? I have considered trying this, but not sure I can part with the scent of Tide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! You commented and I didn't even see. They don't really smell like anything. Very plain and boring.

      Delete